- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 8” round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a countertop mixer, add all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt). Stir until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together all of the liquid ingredients (buttermilk, coffee, vanilla extract, almond extract, sour cream, vegetable oil and eggs).
- Add half of the liquid mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients; mix just until combined. Add the remaining liquid mixture, and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. (Tip: Don’t forget to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure even mixing.)
- Divide the batter evenly into the 3 cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out mostly clean.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes. Flip cakes out of pans and onto cooling racks; allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Using a countertop mixer, cream together the butter and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and half of the milk to the bowl. Beat on low until well combined. Increase to high speed and beat for 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining powdered sugar and milk.
- Add vanilla extract and beat on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Place first layer of cake on large plate. Using an offset spatula, spread about 1 cup of Frosting evenly over the top of the layer. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of Frosting. Top with the third layer of cake.
- Use remaining Frosting to frost sides and top of cake, reserving about 3/4 cup of Frosting for final decorating.
- Transfer the remaining Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip; pipe small stars around the top and bottom edges of the cake. Garnish cake by placing Waffeletten cookies evenly around the top of the cake. Place remaining Waffeletten cookies at even intervals around the outside of the cake.